History

Latest History Article

  • RMS Leinster – centenary commemoration Mon 10 Sep 2018, 07:00 The sinking of the RMS Leinster in 1918 – to be commemorated shortly – was by far the worst loss of life in Irish Waters. Of the 550+ casualties, 21 Post Office mail sorters lost their lives. Many of the postal workers are understood to have come from the Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire) area and it ...

A full list of historic articles can be viewed at the bottom of the page


Historic Overview

It is known that there were organised contests involving local players from Dun Laoghaire & Dalkey as far back as the late 1800’s.  For example, the earliest recorded Bray Emmets team played Dalkey in the Vevay in 1885.  Ashford GAAs history recalls their playing a team from Dalkey in the same year – one of the first games in the Garden County played under GAA rules.  And we know Dun Laoghaire footballers and hurlers were among 15,000 players who participated in a monster tournament in Thurles on Easter Sunday 1886.  However the formal Cuala story can be traced from Cuala Hurling Club (Dalkey, 1918) through a variety of mergers, off-shoots, ‘rests’ and ressurections involving clubs like Naomh Mhuire Camogie Club (Sallynoggin, 1948) St Begnet’s GAA Club (Dalkey 1959, renamed Dalkey Mitchell’s in 1962), Roger Casements (Dalkey 1966) and Cuala Boys (Dun Laoghaire, 1962). All of these clubs were part of the great Cuala journey – their history and that of the modern club are inseparable.

Cuala Hurling Football and Camogie Club owes its name to the “Cuala Marian League” – a schoolboy league covering south Dublin and North Wicklow which in turn derives its name from that ancient area of land which comprised much of South Co. Dublin and North Co. Wicklow stretching from Dalkey to the Sugarloaf.

Cuala Hurling Club

Cuala Hurling Club was founded in 1918 by Charlie Somers, John McGuiness, Paddy Darcy, Eamon Quirke, Paddy Delaney and Noel Glynn. Names subsequently associated with the club were the Byrne brothers, the Reilly brothers (all from Dalkey Hill) , Jack Thomas, Paddy Thomas (Snr), Jack Ledwidge, Paddy Dennehy, Paddy Murphy, Bro. Morrissey, Paddy Mathews, Paddie Roe, “Hooley” & Mick Kearns, Joe Robinson, “NibblerRobinson. The Delegate for the team was Johnny Fox from Patricks Avenue.

Their practice ground was located at the lower Quarry on Dalkey Hill and the “Firm” Quarry.

Both Paddy Darcy and Charlie Somers took part in the 1916 Rising and were interred in England. We know from official records, that a “P.Darcy” from Woodside, Dalkey was transferred to Stafford on 8th May 1916 in the company of a large cotingent (#203) from Wexford, mostly Enniscorthy – the makings of a hurling fraternity perhaps? A further #58 from Athenry, on 13th May, adds to the theory of what the main sporting interest might have been. Add to this the fact that the Somers family appear to have had Waterford roots (His mother Ellen (nee Walshe) and sister Elizabeth were born in Waterford. Though “Daniel Charles” (to give him in proper name) was born in Cork so the hurling DNA is beyond doubt.

Paddy Darcy was, in 1916, an 18 year-old living at 16, Ardbrugh Road the second youngest of 6 children of a Wexford man Abraham Darcy. Abraham was a retired Dublin Metropolitan Policeman. His mother was Elizabeth Darcy.

After their release in 1918, they formed the Cuala team.

Following the outbreak of the War of Independence, Charlie Somers was arrested, in 1920, and received a 10-year term of imprisonment in Dartmoor. The Somers family ran a Post Office in Tubbermore Avenue. When the Post Mistress, Mary Walshe, (his maternal aunt) died, Charlie was released on parole for her funeral and while in Dalkey, he played a match for Cuala. Shortly afterwards, a number of arrests followed and Cuala became inoperable as most of the team members were in jail. The love of hurling lay dormant until after the Civil War when Cuala was revived by the original founders using the grounds at the “Castle” on Dalkey Hill (1923 – 1924).

Despite little encouragement, the national and hurling spirit was kept alive by the Cuala Hurling Team. Due to emigration and lack of players, the team died-out in the late twenties but was reformed again in the early thrities when young players became available.

A Team that played in the Twenties/Thirties was as follows –

James “Hooley” Kearns
St Patrick’s Rd

Paddy Roe
Rockfort Ave
“Wexford” Byrne 

Bill Power
Albert Kelly 

Pilot Cottages

Sgt. Stanton Mick Kearns 

St Patrick’s Rd

Paddy Darcy
Ardbrugh Rd
Jack Ledwige
Dalkey Ave

Jack Thomas
Tubbermore Ave

Jim Buckley 

Paddy Corboy
Noel Comerford
Sorrento Rd
Paddy Green
Ardbrugh Rd
Simon Molloy

A team photograph with relatives of current Cuala players still survives. And so, Gaelic Games remained somewhat unorganised in Dalkey until the late 40’s when they began to attract renewed interest.

St Mary’s Camogie Club

St Mary’s Camogie Club was founded in 1948. It was based in Sallynoggin but initially played its matches in the Phoenix Park. In 1972 the Club “associated” with Cuala Casements.

In 1982 the club formally amalgamated with what was by then Cuala Hurling & Football Club (now including Dalkey Mitchells).  The enlarged club adopted its present name Cuala Hurling, Football and Camogie Club.

More than ten players have played for Dublin and Leinster. A Cuala player has also captained the county team. (Cartlan Digiteach Cuala would like to hear full details please)

St. Begnets G.A.A. Club

St. Begnets G.A.A. Club, thought already active fr some years previously, was officially founded in July 1959. Football teams from Minor down completed in the Cuala Marian League.

What is now Hyde Park G.A.A. pitch was disected by a wall, and a soccer pitch was sited on the lower half of the field. A Junior Football section was formed in 1959. Access to Hyde Park was achieved in 1961 when U-13 and Junior Hurling matches were played. In 1962, Dun Laoghaire Borough Council voted to remove the wall at Hyde Park and it was demolished over a year later revealing the pitch as it is today

Misteiligh Dheilginis

In August 1962 it was decided to change the club name to Dalkey Mitchell’s. That year the J.H.L. Division C was won. This was the first adult competition ever won by a local club in County Board competitions. At least two men associated with this team (who) are still active in Cuala today. In 1964 work commenced on the dressing rooms in Hyde Park.

During the 60’s Dalkey Mitchell’s grew in strength. In 1967 the Junior Hurling Championship was won. The Intermediate Championship final was lost the following year. In 1969 Dalkey Mitchell’s were promoted to the Senior Hurling League, the first ever Senior Hurling Team in South County Dublin.

Buachailli Cuala

In a meeting in the Town Hall in Dun Laoghaire February 1962, Cuala Boys GAA Club was founded under the Chairmanship of Richard Curran. This was a development grounded in the Cuala Marian League, a competition run for schools in south Dublin & north Wicklow. Members of Cuala Boys were drawn mainly from Dun Laoghaire C.B.S.  But they also benefited from the disbandment of two neighbouring clubs – St Michael’s and Dun Laoghaire Commercials whos boys were amalgamated into the new club. They competed  at U11 & U13, when they proved too strong for the local opposition. Their colours were blue with a white collar. The first set of jerseys were bought with the proceeds of a raffle, the prizes being a transistor radio (none of your MP3s or iPhones in them days!) , a ladies or gents bicycle and a quarter ton of coal. Tickets were 3d. each or five for a shilling. Most homes in Sallynogging subscribed.

 

Roger Casements

Roger Casement’s were formed in 1966 to cater for minors. Some of those involved came from Cuala Boys and others from Dalkey Mitchell’s. Dalkey Mitchell’s presented the club with “twelve hurls as a gesture of goodwill”. They wore red and white. By 1967 they had made it to a M.H.C. Final but were beaten.

 

Cuala Casements

In the Autumn of 1967 Cuala Boys and Roger Casements amalgamated to become Cuala Casements. Red and White became the predominant colours. In January 1968 the Cuala Bingo began in the Astoria Hall, Glasthule, laterly the Forum Cinema – since closed. It later moved to the Assembly Hall in Dun Laoghaire. For years it was the main source of income for the club. That same year the U.15 Hurling Championship was won and the Sallynoggin Pavilion, built by the parents of the players, was opened in September.

A newspaper report from 1969 states that there was “no shortage of players…however it is difficult to get suitable, competent officals to look after all the teams and generally it is the same four or five”. A unique treble was also achieved in 1969 with the U.15, U.16 and U.18 Hurling Championships. It was “a hell of a run”. Sallynoggin was the only hurling pitch available to the club at this time. The club fielded “a bit of a Junior Hurling team”.

The years 1970-72 also saw three U.21 Hurling Championship finals in a row being lost. In 1971 the Warwickshire Juvenile Board visited Cuala with a party of 30 players. Summer Leagues were organised in which the “the oranisers wish to emphasise that this competition takes second place to events such as Scout outings, Cubs Altar Boys etc”. 1972 saw the J.H.C won by the club for the first time with a 3-10 to 0-11 victory over St. Vincents. It has been won three more times since then. The J.H.L was also won that year. Bingo was in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire. At this time the club adopted a policy of dealing with hurling exclusively until the players were 14 years old.

 

Cuala GAA Club

In 1974, Cuala Casements and Dalkey Mitchells amalgamated to form Cuala Hurling & Football Club. In 1976 the I.H.C. was won bringing the club into the Senior ranks for the first time. This was the year in which the Hall on Hyde Road in Dalkey was bought for £24,000 from the dormant Dalkey Boxing Club. The hall had been built by local initiative, each house in the area paying for one brick.

Fas agus Forbairt

In 1976 the S.H.L. Division 2 was won and again in 1981 and 1990. Winning the Boland Cup in 1986 was the beginning of a great run for the hurlers which has continued to this day. The S.H.C was won for the first time in 1989 when the team reached the Leinster Club Final. The team also won the Division 1 League that year. The S.H.C. was won in 1991 and, of course for the third time in 1994.

The J.H.C. was won again in 1977, 1985, and 1993. In 1976 the U.21 F.C. and U.21 League were won by the footballers. A year later the Junior Team won the Conlon Cup. In 1978 the J.F.C. was won. The S.F. team won Division 3 of the League in 1980 and 1984. Division 3 of the J.F. League had been won in 1980. The S.F.C. final was lost to Parnells in 1988.

An tIonad Soisialta

During the summer of 1985 the Club Social Centre was opened. This provides a valuable social outlet for club members and local residents – discreetly placed behind the hall, to ensure neighbours are not disturbed

An Faiche Nua

Another milestone in providing facilities was reached in December 1989 when the redeveloped Dalkey Pitch was opened, hosting a challenge between Dublin and Galway S.F. teams. The pitch was levelled, drained and reseeded.
Cuala also have the use of pitches in Shankill, Sallynoggin, Meadowvale and Dalkey.

Who Do You Think You Are? – a Historical Timeline

Acknowledgements / Sources
Prionsais Ó Maoláin (RIP)
Fergus Ó Tighernaigh (RIP)
Michael Kennedy
Colmán Ó Drisceoil
Harry Roberts


 

Full List of History Articles

  • RMS Leinster – centenary commemoration Mon 10 Sep 2018, 07:00 The sinking of the RMS Leinster in 1918 – to be commemorated shortly – was by far the worst loss of life in Irish Waters. Of the 550+ casualties, 21 Post Office mail sorters lost their lives. Many of the postal workers are understood to have come from the Kingstown (Dún Laoghaire) area and it ...
  • Roger Casement Summer School 2018 Tue 14 Aug 2018, 15:56 Cuala members with an appreciation of the history of the club will be interested in this Summer School taking place at the end of August in Dun Laoghaire. One of the constituent clubs making up the Cuala family was called Cuala Casements (1967 – 1974), previously Roger Casements (1966 – 67) in recognition of the patriot’s association ...
  • Historic overview Fri 20 Jul 2018, 12:00 The formal Cuala story can be traced from records of games in the area in the late-19th century and on through a variety of mergers, off-shoots, ‘rests’ and ressurections involving local clubs like Cuala Hurling Club, Naomh Mhuire, St Begnet’s, Dalkey Mitchell’s, Roger Casements and Cuala Boys. All of these clubs are part of ...
  • Cuala Casements – Junior Football – An Corn Plant winners 1973 Thu 19 Apr 2018, 09:00 1973 saw the first Adult Football trophy brought home to Dalkey under a “Cuala” title. This short-lived club grew out of the amalgamation of Roger Casements and Cuala Boys. It later amalgamated with Dalkey Mitchell’s to become Cuala Hurling & Football Club. 
  • St. Michael’s GAA Club – Sallynoggin 1960 Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:25 This picture of St. Michael’s is not only remarkable for its depiction of a set of boys who later, formed the feeder for Cuala Boys, it also contains at least 3 ‘celebrities’
  • Memories of Cuala days gone by Tue 13 Mar 2018, 22:11 On the eve of a historic weekend when a Cuala team returns to defend its all-Ireland club title at headquarters, Cartlann Digiteach Cuala  is delighted to offer this reflection from Frances Browner on happy days gone by.
  • Cuala Marian League 1955 – a Medal for Dun Laoire Wed 11 Oct 2017, 22:38 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala is looking for Dun Laoire players who participated in the Cuala Marian League in 1955
  • 1974 – Dunphy guides Cuala Casements to Minor League victory Tue 11 Apr 2017, 09:44 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala is delighted to announce the acquisition of a wide-ranging set of photographs and news clippings courtesy of Bridie Dunphy . This 1974 image is of a presentation to mark a wonderful season for the Minors (who finished top of the Dublin Minor Football League) and to honour the achievements of their manager, ...
  • No Medal for discovering who Dunleary GAA were. Thu 20 Oct 2016, 10:00 The emergence of this beautiful medal raises an important question. Just who were “Dunleary GAA” and what, if any, association had they with our own medal-laden club?
  • Cuala Intermediate Team 1991 – 1993 Sat 20 Feb 2016, 22:46 Remember the days when our seconds were promoted to Intermediate status and in a 3-year period, won the Junior A Championship, Kehoe Cup and Doyle Cup. Read all about this remarkable panel of players
  • The hall – before Cuala ‘threw its hat into the ring’ Sun 07 Feb 2016, 11:01 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala likes attics. And if there’s one thing we like even more – it’s people who rummage in attics and bring newly discovered material to our attention.
  • 1985 – Senior B Camogie Double Mon 11 Jan 2016, 11:36 1985, is remembered fondly by Cuala Camogie as the year when they won the Senior B Championship and League Double.
  • A special gift for a special year Sun 20 Dec 2015, 18:16 Adult Hurler Luke Brennan has made a very special piece of art to celebrate Cuala’s outstanding season on the field. A limited number of copies are now on sale.
  • A Hurling Outpost in South Dublin – 1969 Sat 28 Nov 2015, 00:45 These guys must surely be bursting with pride at the fortunes on the field of their descendants in Cuala. Meet the Cuala Casements Coiste of ’69
  • Before Facebook – The Cuala Monthly – April 1972 Wed 25 Nov 2015, 00:51 The Cuala Monthly (“Top for Sport”) was produced in 1971 /72 by the Cuala Youth Committee. It makes for fantastic reading today if only to show how much things have changed and how much has stayed the same
  • 1964 Cuala Casements U13 Hurlers Fri 20 Nov 2015, 12:15 The Cuala Casements U13s played in the South City League in 1964. Can you name them?
  • 1981 Dublin Senior Hurling Championship Semi Final Programme Wed 20 May 2015, 22:17   We would like to thank Ogie Ryan for giving us this copy of the 1981 Dublin Senior Hurling Championship Semi Final Programme/Team Sheet. It is now digitally preserved for posterity in the Cuala Digital Archive.   The 1981 Dublin Senior Hurling Championship Semi Finals were played in Croke Park which was unusual in itself. Cuala played O’Tooles ...
  • Relive the 1989 Cuala Senior Hurling Championship Victory Sat 20 Dec 2014, 13:55 The Festive Season is upon us and there will be many sports documentaries and chances to look back at some great Hurling and Football games of 2014 but how about a chance to look back at the memorable 1989 Final that saw Cuala beat Vincents to claim their maiden senior hurling championship.  While we look back ...
  • Féile glory – 40 years on Sat 07 Jun 2014, 16:01 It hardly seems that long ago but this year marks the fortieth anniversary of Cuala’s most successful Féile campaign. This is the one and only (so far!) Cuala team to ever win the Dublin Féile. In 1974, the lads went on to represent Dublin in the National Féile which was held in Limerick that ...
  • Gaelic Sport in Eblana – Frank Hayes recalls great school days Thu 22 May 2014, 00:49 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala is mindful of the great support Cuala and its ancestral clubs received from local schools. All the more so when some of those schools, like CBS Eblana in Dún Laoghaire is no longer with us. So we were thrilled when Joe McCann showed us a copy of “St Michaels CBS 1856 ...
  • Ó Maoláin Scrapbook – a treasure trove of gaelic games achievement Wed 08 Jan 2014, 15:58 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala has just published a unique Scrapbook documenting hurling & football in Dalkey. Compiled by former Dalkey schoolmaster Proinsias Ó Maoláin (RIP), the album covers a period from the 1950’s to the 1970’s. It contains a wide range of handwritten notes, photographs, newspaper cuttings, songs and poems – all penned by ...
  • 1988 Junior Football Final recalled Fri 27 Dec 2013, 17:24 Cuala’s heritage in images and print is not just concerned with winning trophys. We love to hear of heroic journeys that took teams to great heights even if the outcome did not mean more silverware. Some seasons yielded something just as valuable – lasting friendships and great memories of shared endeavours. Like this memorable journey ...
  • Colmán’s philosophical prize earned 20 years ago. Thu 24 Oct 2013, 21:56 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala is of the view that we should never overlook great hurling endeavours by Cuala members that take place beyond the jurisdiction of Club and County. We spotted a familiar face in this 1993 Fitzgibbon Cup winning side featuring a shy and retiring future Academy Chairman.
  • Historic Visit by “Bob” recalls momentous year in ’61 Fri 26 Jul 2013, 01:29 History was made in July 2013 when, for the first time since 1961, the Dublin Senior Hurlers won the Leinster Championship – and it earned Cuala a visit from hurling ‘royalty’
  • Your text is in the post Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:26 We wonder whether our younger members ever stopped to think how we communicated about fixtures back in those ‘black & white” days when there was no Internet and most homes didn’t even have a phone.
  • Historic meeting – a key to Cuala success Tue 11 Jun 2013, 17:22 Recent efforts to refurbish the Hyde Road clubhouse has prompted us to remind members of the historic meeting that took place 36 years ago – a gathering that secured for the club one of its most useful assets – the Cuala Hall.
  • Historic video show Cuala in Phoenix Park Thu 06 Dec 2012, 13:18 Every so often, Cartlann Digiteach Cuala uncovers a real gem. This is one of them – A video showing Cuala Hurlers take on Eoghan Ruadh in the Phoenix Park – but when exactly?
  • Vinnie Holden – Evening Herald Legend of the Ball Wed 28 Nov 2012, 18:18 Vinnie Holden featured in this week’s Evening Herald “Legend of the Ball” series. You can read for yourself how he’s never lost his passion for the game.
  • Who Do You Think You Are? Mon 09 Apr 2012, 18:44 1962 was a pivotal year in Ireland and in the World generally. 50 years ago, we were beginning to see immense changes in social and cultural lives. It was a significant year in the history of Cuala too – with 2 strategic developments that were the critical foundations of our modern day club.
  • Dalkey As Most Of You Have Never Seen It Sat 07 Jan 2012, 01:54 Some film footage of Dalkey, taken in the late 50’s courtesy of Dalkeyphotos. Its amazing how little has changed – except for the cows and the hens. And these a brief glimpse of Hyde Park too
  • Teemore Shamrocks Set the Bar for Club History Wed 14 Dec 2011, 11:53 In encouraging Cuala members and supporters to contribute stories and memorabilia to the club’s digital archive, Cartlann Digiteach Cuala is happy to point out the great work done by other clubs who are at the forefront of cherishing and recording their history.
  • First Ever Football & Hurling Titles in Dalkey – 1961 Wed 23 Nov 2011, 00:12 This week marks the 49th anniversary of a significant milestone in the development of Adult Hurling in Dalkey. St Begnets GAA, later renamed Dalkey Mitchels before amalgamating with Cuala Casements to form the club we all know today, won the Junior Hurling “C” League – Dalkey’s first Adult Hurling title but the Footballers ...
  • Young & Old Rub Shoulders at Friends of Dublin Hurling Awards Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:55 It’s considered polite when having friends ’round to dinner that you bring out the best silverware. The annual Friends of Dublin Hurling Awards night, held on Friday 18th Nov., was no exception.
  • Dalkey Mitchell’s Win Junior Hurling Championship – 1967 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 22:52 Dalkey Mitchells – one of the pillar teams of the modern club – won its first Junior Hurling Title in 1967. It was to be the start of an extraordinary journey. Read all about it in the Newspapers of the day and break into song!
  • Harold Dalkey win Johnston Mooney & O’Brien Cup – June 1955 Sun 03 Jul 2011, 21:24 Harold Boys Dalkey first entered a Senior team in the Schools League in the 1954/55 season. And what a debut it turned out to be for the Dalkey hurlers.
  • Dun Laoghaire Players Rub Shoulders with G.A.A. Aristocracy – 1886 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 20:13 Dun Laoghaire footballers and hurlers were among 15,000 players who participated in a monster tournament in Thurles. Not only did they come in contact with the G.A.A. founding fathers but they also got the opportunity, for the very first time, to make a point.
  • Dublin Match Programme Celebrates Cuala Success – November 1991 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:11 When Dublin Hurlers took to the field against Galway in the NHL in 1991 it was only fitting that the Match Programme paid homage to some of Cuala’s stars who had achieved their second Senior County Championship the previous weekend.
  • Cuala Take Second Title in Three Years – SHC 1991 – Updated Tue 28 Jun 2011, 20:00 Hot on the heels of winning their first ever Senior Championship, Cuala were back in Parnell Park in 1991 battling for Dublin honours against Craobh Chiaráin. We reproduce the Match Programme, a Team Portrait and a Match Report
  • Cuala Hurling & Football – Minutes 11 March 1965 Mon 27 Jun 2011, 10:00 It seems that Cuala was way ahead of its time in fostering cordial relationships with former colonial Associations as evidenced by club minutes from March 1965.
  • Harold Dalkey win Conlon Cup – May 1957 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:33 The Ó Maoláin Album celebrates a remarkable victory by Harold Boys Dalkey in the 1956/57 Primary Schools Div 3  Hurling Final with a team picture and cuttings from a subsequent Evening Press.  Many of the families named are still with the club. This  success followed on earlier achievement as the Dalkey Boys had already secured the Schools ...
  • School Scrapbook Reveals a Goldmine of Gaelic Games History in Dalkey Tue 21 Jun 2011, 14:08 Cartlann Digiteach Cuala has just struck gold. We have just acquired a copy of a unique Scrapbook compiled by legendary Harold Dalkey teacher Prionsias Ó Maoileán illustrating Hurling & Football activities in Harold Boys Dalkey from ’50s up to ’70’s and covering the formative years of our own great club and its associates.
  • Cuala Boys – Inaugural Meeting 1962 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 14:03 February 1962 saw the formation of Cuala Boys – drawing on students from CBS Dun Laoghaire and players from two disbanded clubs.
  • Historic Match Programme Recalls 1989 SHC Success – UPDATED Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:50 A match programme offered for sale on ebay, and rescued by an alert member, revives fond memories of a great Cuala milestone
  • Next Royal Visit to Shangannagh Park, Perhaps? Thu 19 May 2011, 19:03 David Adams’ article in todays Irish Times “GAA playing some lovely hurling in NI peace game” makes for interesting reading. It’s nice to see Cuala getting a mention alongside HRH in relation to recent historical developments. We can be sure too that our own HRHs (Harry Roberts’ Hurlers) will continue to play lovely hurling and ...
  • Cuala Hurling Club 1920’s Thu 13 Jan 2011, 13:57 This is the earliest known team photograph of a Cuala team. Significantly, it provides an important link between the present club and the team who are understood to have played in the Lower Quarry and the “Firm” Quarry on Dalkey Hill – beside Ardbrugh Road.
  • Digging up our Past for Digital Posterity Thu 13 Jan 2011, 13:26 On La na gClub, (10th May 2009) Cuala launched a major programme to research and record our social history, an initiative that will culminate in the creation of “Cartlann Digiteach Cuala” – the Cuala Digital Archive. Cuala Hurling, Football and Camogie Club has a long and distinguished history of involvement in Gaelic Games in south County ...
  • Mystery Surrounds United Gaels – 1921 Wed 13 May 2009, 14:07 Who was this team and how do they integrate into the Cuala Story? The picture was kindly presented to Cuala by Frank Mullen, Dalkey Utd. in 1995 and, as the incription of the ball shows, dates from the 1920-21 season. The man “in possession” of the ball is Leo Ledwidge and is almost certainly the brother of ...
  • St Begnet’s GAA – Division C Winners – 1962 Sat 25 Apr 2009, 20:33 Back Row: Sean Tobin, Jim Doran, Jack Wallace, J. Walsh, J. Byrne, Murt Gleeson, Pat Murphy, G. Smith, Alec Wallace Front Row: Liam Doyle, Mick Priest, Declan O’Shea, Joe. Brannelly, Phil Gleeson, William Wallace, Jim O’Shea, Matthew Wallace